Melissa & Doug Round the Town Road Rug
This colourful road rug comes with four cars to drive on looping streets and lanes — and its varied terrain makes it ideal for trains, chunky play figures, and vehicles of all kinds! Durably made to look great for countless playtimes to come, the woven rug features a handsome farm surrounded by a circular road system, which connects a school, parking lot, grocery store, lakeshore, and more — all in a convenient arrangement that makes it easy for kids to play.
Extension Activities: More Ways to Play and Learn:
- Have kids count the cars and place them in the numbered parking spots. Point to the numbers in the parking spots as you count aloud. Then challenge kids to say the numbers aloud when you point to them, first in numerical order and then out of order.
- Choose a number 1 through 6 by parking a car in the parking space of that number. Have kids look on the rug to find a group that illustrates that number. For instance, “There are 4 kinds of crops,” or, “I see 2 shopping carts.”
- One car at a time, have kids identify the color of the car. Then ask them to drive the car to all of the other places on the rug where the color appears. Challenge them to find the biggest patch of that color on the rug and park the matching car on it.
- Line up the cars on the edge of the rug opposite the parking spaces. Have kids give each car a single push to send it rolling across the rug to one of the parking spots (or another location).
- Place the cars around the rug and have kids stand in the center circle. Challenge them to keep their feet in place while reaching to move the cars according to your instructions. For instance you could say, “Move the red car to the school,” or, “Make the purple car and the yellow car switch places.”
- Have kids select a car and reenact a typical day for your family. Perhaps the car starts by dropping off a sibling at school and then visits the grocery store before driving past the farm on the way home. Encourage kids to narrate the trip, describing each stop along the way.
- Encourage kids to tell a story using the rug and cars. Perhaps the farmer is going around town to deliver milk to customers, or maybe it is race day, and the blue and yellow cars are ready to start their engines! Optional: Create props for the story, such as a paper tunnel or a checkered flag.
Dimensions: 39″L x 36″W